Campus Response Procedure: Run, Hide, Fight
When a major safety threat occurs on school grounds, the campus response procedure is: Run, Hide, Fight. If an active assailant is threatening your life and safety, follow this procedure:
- Hide Silently in the Safest Location Possible
- Hide in an area outside of the shooter’s view.
- Block any points of entry and lock the doors, if possible.
- Turn off lights.
- Silence phones and turn off electronics.
- If you are outdoors and cannot RUN safely, find a safe place to hide that will provide protection from gunfire.
- Remain in place until you receive an “all clear” signal from IDentifyED.
- Last resort. Attack with aggression.
- If you cannot RUN or HIDE, FIGHT the perpetrator.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Act with physical aggression toward the shooter.
- Throw items at the shooter and take him or her by surprise if possible.
Campus Run Hide Fight procedure once complete and safe CALL 911:
- Wait for local Law Enforcement Officers to assist you out of the building, if inside.
- When law enforcement arrives, remain calm and follow their instructions.
- Raise your hands and keep your palms open at all times.
IDentifiED is the #1 Complete Campus Security and Safety Resource System used by over 4,000 schools nationwide.
With this state-of-the-art program, help is at the fingertips of students and school faculty.
1Simply press the “Help Request” button in the IDentifiED app and Security and Police are instantly notified.
2The student’s location is known, and the shooter is quickly pinpointed.
4Everyone is told exactly what to do within the app.
5Doors are locked down.
6Attendance is taken.
7The shooter is isolated and restrained.
8And finally, the “All Clear” is sounded and anxious parents are reunited with their students.