Independent Living Facilities Campus Safety and Security
Independent Living Facilities have unique challenges when it comes to facility safety and security.
January 20, 2019, A resident at an Alta Vista-area independent living complex who allegedly became involved in an altercation and was found unresponsive at the facility, has died, San Diego police are reporting.
The man, identified as 59-year old Philip Muse, was pronounced dead Sunday, according to police Lt. Anthony Dupree.
The altercation at the independent living center in the 5700 block of Mariposa Place, east of National City, was re-ported about 8:45 a.m. Thursday, according to police. Officers learned Muse, a tenant at the facility, had been involved in a physical altercation with another tenant after Muse allegedly assaulted an employee of the center.
Independent Living Facilities serve the seniors who are relatively still active but want additional living support services and a strong community of like-minded senior adults. These days grandma and grandpa are pretty tech-savvy, you know how grandma likes to post and read Facebook and grandpa sends a text and trades on-line.
Middle School shootings, mental health issues, allergies, medical conditions, illicit drug use on and off campus, and natural and main made disasters, all are concerns associated with Middle School safety and security. Safety is a major concern for everyone who steps foot on school campus. Turn on the news on any given day and you’ll quickly discover negative stories highlighting dangers found on Middle School campuses across the nation. Students are experimenting with drugs, hormones are raging, tempers are flaring, and it’s up to everyone to ensure dangers are anticipated, reported, and dealt with in a timely manner.
School leaders are challenged by adolescents who lack good decision making, are unable to comprehend the consequences of their actions, and often times to not exercise good self-control. It comes down to a lack of connection between the frontal cortex and the limbic area.
Here as some of the somewhat unique needs of Independant living safety and security:
- Ability to create an Independent Living Facilities ID that is easily distributed and easily revoked across their network of facilityes.
- Ability to create and distribute smart cards that are easily distributed and easily revoked across for access to facilities, dining, vending and rooms.
- Ability to create brand and community with an app/system that provides many features that engage seniors into the community.
- Provide support for help requests across many facilityes.
- Provide emergency broadcasts across many facilityes and to specific facilityes and groups.
- Provide security services from both a centralized and decentralized approach.
- Flexibility to create facility specific help requests, emergency broadcasts, locations, and custom facility apps.
- Ability to locate students and communicate with them..
- Engaging features that students want to use like chat, message boards, file sharing, picture sharing, todos, calendar sharing, location sharing, group management, grades, attendance, assignments and many other systems.
- Manage visitors.
- Validate that visitors are not criminals.
Independent Living Facilities shootings, mental health issues, allergies, medical conditions, illicit drug use on and off facility, and natural and man-made disasters, all are concerns associated with Independent Living Facilities safety and security.
Safety is a major concern for everyone who steps foot on Independent Living Facilities facility. Turn on the news on any given day and you’ll quickly discover negative stories highlighting issues found on Independent Living Facilities facilities across the nation. Seniors are using many prescription drugs, some have some form of dementia, bodies are maturing, and it’s up to everyone to ensure dangers are anticipated, reported, and dealt with in a timely manner.
Independent Living Facilities Safety and Security are the responsibility of Independent Living Facilities leaders
Independent Living Facilities leaders and security resources are ultimately responsible for the safety, security and issues that occur in their facilities.
The advantages are obvious:
- Saves Lives
- Reduce Injuries
- Protect the reputation of the school
- Reduce litigation rish
- Criminal Charges?
Now that the Scot Peterson, security resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas Charter School in Parkland Florida is being criminally charged with child neglect and other charges, legitimate concerns from school leaders and resource officers about criminal charges loom. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/parkland-scot-peterson.html
Independent living facility leaders and security professional need to:
- Document policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate daily in real-time that the facility safety and security tools, systems, resources, people and processes are in place to secure their facility.
- As Independent Living Facilities’ demonstrate response, the response has to be well documented so that Independent Living Facilities can prove, improve and anticipate response.
- Consider all the risks that exist in a facility and take actions with the appropriate, people, processes and tools to safe guard the Independent Living Facilities.
- Engage seniors into safety and security processes that are integrated in a compelling way into the lives of seniors.
What is so cool about the IDentifyED Independent Living Facilities safety and security system?
The IDentifyEd App is much more than just a resident ID and smart card to access the facility and the door to their home, IDentifyEd’s main goal is to entice seniors with a large series of engagement apps. These modules/features are completely configurable by the Independent Living Facilities at the user role level. IDentifyed provides 3 major types of student engagement solutions for your facility:
1Facility safety and security.
- Resident ID
- Emergency Broadcast
- Help Requests
- HID SEOS Smart Card
- Custom App for URL
- Check-in/Check-out to share location
- Reunification for trips to manage custody
- Security Operations Tools
- Say Something
- Security Policy and Emergency Content Tool
2Facility social networking and communications.
- User Messaging
- User/Student Portfolios with:
- User Message Boards
- File sharing
- Contact/roster info sharing
- Picture sharing
- Location Sharing
- Calendar Sharing
- Strong privacy and filters
- Group Message Board
- Course Message Board
- Group/Group Messages
- School Broadcast
- Group Chat
What is holding you back from Independant living safety and security facility?
- IDentifyED provides features and modules that no other system can provide.
- You don’t have the system, you are not as secure as you need to be.
- Implementing is quick and easy.
- The IDentifyED system cost is easily justified based the liability it helps address.
- Every minute you wait you create more risk, liability and negligence.
- You can start saving lives and communicating to everyone that your facility is safe and secure, today!