Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert
Emergency Broadcast, Notice, and Alert for schools’, colleges, corporations, hospitals, government facilities, and other types of campuses have used what is commonly referred to as emergency broadcasts, emergency alerts, emergency notifications, or for many years. Many schools have relied on technology providers who are still using the same technology and providing the same features that they provided “pre-smartphone,” “pre-saas,” and well “pre-internet.”
Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert for Campuses.
Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert system inside Kornukopia’s IDentifyED allows any campus to create a central emergency broadcast for many campuses, not just one. For many, the issue isn’t that they can’t send out an emergency broadcast the issue comes down to the strength of features, reach and performance of their Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert.
Some campuses want to send out more specific messages to specific groups and are unable to. Some campuses admit that their emergency broadcast system can’t send messages outside of the United States, so for users traveling abroad, they have no real way to communicate a safety concern. While others use very crude methods to identify and register users, so many users are not covered by the emergency broadcast system.
Justifying the cost and getting the most leverage from your campuses Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert system.
For too many campuses, emergency broadcast is their only campus security solution. Imagine if the only way you taught students was through a loudspeaker in some office somewhere? How effective would that be?
The way to think about Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert is that it is a small piece of the equation. Emergency broadcast is just one tool. Many perceive it as the beginning of the process. Simple question: What are the events that could lead up to an emergency broadcast? This is one of those questions that has about a thousand answers. There are so many things that could catalyze an emergency broadcast.
Here is a simple list of some types of Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert
- Criminal Threat
- Lightning storm
- Clery Act
- News alert
- General news broadcast
- Chemical Spill
- Hazardous material
- Nuclear or radiation
- Animal threat
There are hundreds of other reasons and ways that an emergency broadcast can be catalyzed. The point is that something happens before an emergency broadcast occurs;
- How does your campus identify that “something” that might require an broadcast?
- Once it is identified, what criteria do you use to make the decision to make broadcast?
- Who does the broadcast and how?
- What do you communicate to the campus?
- How do you reduce panic?
- How does the campus respond to a broadcast?
- How do you create drills to help people understand how to respond?
- How do you document the fact that did do drills?
What are the essential functions of a campus Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert system
1Ability to send in these formats:
- Message box
- Common Alert Protocol (CAP)
2Ability to send to:
- School system
- K-12 school
- Send and log drills
3Emergency broadcasts should send a strong, clear message like:
- Run, Hide, Fight
- All Clear
- Clery Act
- Custom pre-created
- Custom news
- Customer Alert Info
- I love U Guys Foundations’ Standard Response Protocol:
- SRP Lockdown
- SRP Lockout
- SRP Evacuation
- SRP Shelter
- SRP Hold
- SRP All Clear
- SRP Reunification
- SRP Shelter Tornado
- SRP Shelter Hurricane
- SRP Shelter Landslide
- SRP Shelter Snowstorm/Blizzard
- SRP Shelter Animal Threat
- SRP Shelter Hazardous Material
- SRP Shelter Chemical Spill
- SRP Shelter Biohazard
4Emergency Broadcasts should include Descriptive Title, Action to take, Image, and a URL that allows for more information.
5Emergency Alerts/broadcasts should be able to be sent from a browser, security operations center, or an IOS or Android App.
How does Kornukopia’s IDentifyED provide Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alerts?
With IDentifyED a school or emergency broadcast can:
Users can initiate help requests that might catalyze an broadcast.
Administrators, staff, and faculty can initiate an emergency broadcast
IDentifyEd provides licensed and embedded I Love U Guys Foundations: “Standard Response Protocol” so you can leverage the same system that over 25,000 schools in the US and Canada can leverage.
IDentifyED emergency broadcast provides a global reach so we can send to anyone where in the world.
Security operations center can start an emergency alert for an entire university, campus, school system, school, group, team, or course.
IDentifyEd allows your school to create custom “Pre-configured” emergency broadcasts.
Every alert is logged in a log, with the message, sender date, and time.
Broadcasts can be sent as “Drills” so that you can log every drill you’re your school does automatically.
Broadcasts can be sent as “Audible alarms” so that you can get your student’s attention.
IDentifyED allows you to send out and document the fact that your college has transmitted Clery Act Notifications.
IDentifyED’s system uses Amazon’s AWS global, highly redundant, scalable, and high-performance SMS, email, and notification services infrastructure. IDentifyED can send out tens of thousands of alerts instantly to all your users.
Emergency broadcasts can send out both a vibrate and flashing signal alert for people with disabilities.
Broadcasts can be sent as non-audible alarms if case students are hiding from a shooter.
Define customizable emergency broadcasts to better communicate and respond to events.
A full help request system that allows you to monitor help requests that may end up with a broadcast.
A complete suite of critical event tools that allow you to manage an important event after the emergency broadcast has occurred. Like:
- Help Request
- Emergency Broadcast
- Emergency procedures and policy documents available inside the app.
- Critical Event message boards by user groups: parents, students, faculty, leadership, and law enforcement.
- Secure Chat and Secure Group Chat for secure conversations during an event.
- Custom App that can provide referenceable assistance URLS.
- All Clear and Reunification notifications.
- Complete Reunification tools set.
- Help request on behalf of a user for triage, response, and accounting for individuals during reunification.
- Delegation and escalation tools embedded inside the reunification system.
Benefits of a robust set of Alert tools
- Reliable broadcast tools response tools save lives, reduces risk, and reduces liability.
- Robust broadcast documentation allows for reduced liability, improved processes, and strengthens justification of actions in litigations issues.
- Strong broadcast tools with the standard response protocol save lives, reduces risk, reduces panic in an event, reduces liability and litigation risk.
- Robust location tools allow a campus to respond quickly, saving lives and reducing risk, understand where incidents occur, where resources and needed and allows for schools to better leverage resources in the right locations.
- Reliable, flexible mobile and HTML tools allow the organization whether it is an emergency broadcast or members of the staff, to leverage resources in and outside of the school.
- Powerful tools provide vital data that allows emergency broadcast and emergency responders with excellent information to support sound decision making.
How should Emergency Broadcast tools integrate?
In a school system, Emergency Broadcast tools need to leverage great information. Much of that information resides with students, systems, and staff.
1Kornukopia’s IDentifyED School ID tools easily integrated with your student information system or learning management system so that you can leverage student attendance, course and group rosters to communicate issues to specific users by group and course.
2Kornukopia’s IDentifyED provides students with a suite of student engagement tools and social networking tools in order. So that the student use, trusts, and leverage the tool, the more they use it when you need to broadcast to them, the tool is something they are entirely familiar with.
3Kornukopia’s IDentifyEd provides your staff with all the tools that a professional security operation would use and with our apps allows you to put it at the fingers tips of your team, they are, based upon your permission make the School ID, locking down the school and potentially saving lives.
Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert Competitors
Why would anyone put their competitors on their website? Well, for us Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert feature is just one simple feature. It’s not a complete system. Our competition in this market only provides Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert systems, and often they are based upon legacy technology.
99% of the time, when you have a safety and security issue, you won’t do an emergency broadcast. So, many campuses are happy with their Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert system, because it is hardly ever used.
We believe that Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert it is a very small piece of the equation.
We find that many of our clients use one of these providers. The issue is that they do one thing. So, our thought is this. If you use one of them, and you are happy, or you are held by a contract, then keep using them. We believe strongly that you need to do a great deal of other things to secure your campus, these are facets that they have not even considered.
Yes, our Emergency Broadcast Notice and Alert is far superior, but let’s solve all or your issues with campus safety and security.
School Messenger: https://www.schoolmessenger.com/
Blackboard Connect: http://www.blackboard.com