Campus Location Services allow a campus to know where students are
Campus Location Services will help with the below scenario:
Caroline is reacting to a peanut allergy and cannot breathe.
Where is she?
Well, according to IDentifyED and her class schedule, she should be in Algebra class. In the IDentifyED medical condition help request she just made, her longitude and latitude showed she is in Building 6, but that’s a 10-story building. She is on a hall pass from algebra class in Building 6, Room 4-4 to Building 6, Bathroom 4-G. She checked in to Bathroom 4-G, just a minute ago. Get the Epi pen — let’s go save her.
So, location service carries with it a fine line between sharing information and intruding on someone’s privacy. IDentifyED manages that balance. IDentifyED could track a student and every step they take, but that would create so much unnecessary data and completely intrude on the student’s/user’s privacy.
Instead, IDentifyED provides incentives for a student/user to share their information, while maintaining the privacy of the user. IDentifyED’s check-in allows a student or any user to share their “location”. A location can be a course, a room, a bus, an event, a group or a person’s custody.
Campus security location services systems require some basic features:
So, what is being done today on campus with campus security location services?
Most schools don’t have any way to find a student. If there is a need to find them. If there is a need to monitor the campus. If there is a need to account for everyone during a critical event.
Most schools respond with the same answer: take attendance, that sounds like a great answer. Until you realize, that this assumes that they are in class, attending a course. But what if they are not? Critical events don’t care whether class is in session, so how can you count on traditional SIS attendance systems to account for students? The answer is, you can’t.
What if there was a way?
- To know where a student is, if they are in a class, in a room, on a bus, in an event, with a group or with a teacher or supervisor.
- Checking into a course is simple attendance but checking into something other than a course, is far more complex; what if they could communicate that?
- Make sharing a student’s location something they want to do, but not jeopardizing their privacy.
- Have crucial data on a student’s or user’s campus security location services during a critical event when they need help.
IDentifyED is the way.
How does IDentifyED campus security location services work?
- Schools create courses, rooms, buses, groups, events. And of course people are in the system. We call this a “location”.
- Students/Users can create their own locations as well and share those locations.
- Students/Users can check-in to a location, a location can be looked up via a simple list/query, scanning a QR code, or reading an NFC tag.
- Once a user checks into a location, the location is available via a user’s portfolio.
- With the correct privileges, a user can look up a user’s location via the IDentifyED app.
- If a help request is initiated, a user’s location is included in the help request.
- All of this information is recorded in the IDentifyED database so that schools can monitor their campus and see location history.
Top reasons why IDentifyED’s student location system is the best. IDentifyED is:
- The most detailed location system that includes longitude/latitude, course, room, group, bus, event, user, or user defined location.
- The best location monitoring for both the remote security officer and the central security operations center.
- The best and most complete campus-wide solution set in which the student location is one of the many crucial data points used to document a critical event.
- The best student engagement location services integrated into the student’s social network.
- Schools have no idea where students are.
- When students need help, schools have no detailed/crucial information.
- Schools rely on attendance; attendance only tells them when student are in class.
- Location services can compromise student’s privacy.
- Students have no personal incentive to share their location.
- Student’s like sharing their information because it gives great information to their social network profile.
- Schools have detailed information about students’ whereabouts in courses, rooms, groups, events, buses, with faculty and staff and in places that the student defines. Campuses know when and where users are.
- During a critical event schools don’t have to rely on attendance to determine where students are located. This wouldn’t work anyway because most times they are not in class.
- When students need help, campuses can respond with greater location detail and context around the location.
What is so cool about the IDentifyED Campus Location Services?
The IDentifyEd Campus Location Services is much more than just a user ID and smart card. IDentifyEd’s main goal is to entice the user with a large series of student engagement apps. These modules/features are completely configurable by the school at the user role level. IDentifyed provides 3 major types of student engagement solutions for your campus:
1Campus safety and security.
- Student ID
- Emergency Broadcast
- Help Requests
- HID SEOS Smart Card
- Custom App
- Security Operations Tools
- Hall Pass
- Say Something
- Security Policy and Emergency Content Tool
2Campus social networking and communications.
- User Messaging
- User/Student Portfolios with:
- User Message Boards
- File sharing
- Contact/roster info sharing
- Picture sharing
- Location Sharing
- Calendar Sharing
- Strong privacy and filters
- Group Message Board
- Course Message Board
- Group/Group Messages
- School Broadcast
- Group Chat
- To-dos & Take Home
- Course Management
- Group Management